To build a partnership between the library and the community to advocate for quality library service for patrons of the Alpharetta Branch of the Atlanta-Fulton County Library System.
Friends of the Alpharetta Library Accomplishments for 2016
Volunteer Efforts and Charitable Donations as of July, 2016
- At Alpharetta Library
- Librarians' requests for Children, Teen and Adult books donated by Patrons to backfill popular, worn and/or often requested books.
- Books for Soldiers
- Requests from soldiers through BooksforSolders.com, books, audiobooks, DVDs, games, snacks to service men and women. Cards and notes from children at monthly book sales put into each box. On-going 8 year commitment to the program
- Hospitals, Clinics, Senior Center, City Hall, local Stores, Federal District Court
- Northwest hospital, Grady hospital, AIDS clinic, waiting area at District Court
- Gwinnett Tech: dictionaries, Thesaurus, instructional writing, classic literature for students in the GED program
- Alpharetta Elementary: supplement school library and teacher classrooms
- Paid for Children and Youth/Teen Summer Programs for Alpharetta Library. 29 programs funded in the 2016 Summer agenda.
- Additional programs funded at the library throughout the year.
- Purchased additional books for children, youth and adults to supplement loss of funding by Fulton County.
- Purchased supplies for Library currently unfunded; DVD cases, office supplies, summer program supplies
- Yearly Grant to Alpharetta Elementary school to promote literacy. Supplements programs unfunded or at the request of the principal and teachers. 3rd year running.
- Books For Soldiers yearly contribution towards their fund raiser (all volunteer organization)
- Atlanta Fulton Library System Foundation yearly donation
- Scholarships. Student must be accepted at a college and write an essay on: 'the importance of a free, public library system in today's society.'
- 9 scholarships of $500 each were awarded to North Fulton graduating seniors.
- $500 towards GED tests at Gwinnett Tech in memory of Ralph Johnson. Based on need and recommendation from Teacher.
- Book Sales
- Monthly sales
- Internet Book Sales on eBay and Amazon
- Book Store in the library
- Approximate income from books is $35,000 per year.
- Membership in Friends of the Library organization. Plus on-going donations from long time members of the Friends.
- Donation from the City of Alpharetta.
- From 2012 thru 2016 FOTAL was one of the highest number of volunteer hours of all Fulton County Libraries.
Library Value Calculator
You already know and appreciate that the Alpharetta library provides cultural and educational services to the community. But perhaps you are curious about the monetary value. Use the below calculator to estimate what would be the cost of these free services if you were required to pay for classes, programs, computer time and various materials the Alpharetta library makes available for the public.
The values in the calculator were determined by the estimated cost of obtaining each of the items without the use of the library.
- Hardcover Books
- Purchase cost of a new hardcover book
- Softcover Books
- Purchase cost of a new softcover book
- Rental cost of a DVD
- Music CD
- Purchase cost of a music CD
- Purchase cost of an CD audiobook
- Ebook Download
- Purchase cost of an ebook
- Audiobook Download
- Purchase cost of an audiobook
- Computer Use
- Cost of hourly computer usage at a business center
- Cost of outside classes
- Event Pass
- Cost of two adult ($11.95) and one child ($7.95) admission tickets to a museum
- Purchase cost of a magazine or 1 week of a newspaper subscription
The Library Value Calculator was developed by Luke T. Charde for the Troy Public Library site, then distributed under the Creative Commons License for use by others. Read more about it here.